I began my Shiatsu studies in 1992. I spent a year studying a Shiatsu Foundation Course at night school. Inspired and wanting more information, I went on to study at The Bristol School of Shiatsu and Oriental Medicine. I successfully completed a three month Shiatsu Foundation Course, followed by a three year Shiatsu Diploma and a higher examination to become a Member of the Register of Shiatsu Society practitioners (MRSS). I went on to become a teaching assistant at the school and indeed taught both first and third year students when needed. (I also taught for The Shiatsu College Bristol). I completed a teaching qualification (City and Guild’s) and began running my own Shiatsu Foundation courses at night school through Adult Education. I have continued to teach and train throughout my career. I am also qualified in;
- Thai massage (ITTA levels 1 & 2)
- Yoga tuition (Sivananda and Birthlight)
- Auricular Acupuncture (NADA protocol and Hep. C Specialism)
- “Notox” (Shiatsu facial)
- Well Mother Shiatsu for pregnancy (Post Graduate)
- Spinal Manipulations, Pelvic dysfunction Masterclass (Jonh Gibbons-Body Master)
- Emmett Technique Certified Advanced Practitioner
- Emm-Tech Tutor.
I have worked both collectively and independently and have been in private practice since 1994 at clinics across Bristol. Presently I work from my “garden office” studio, at events and festivals and for organisations up and down the country as well as peripatetically onsite (Circomedia, Bottleyard Film Studios etc) or in offices and schools with The Bristol Back Rub (Seated Shiatsu for workplace wellbeing).
Having qualified as an Emmett Technique practitioner in 2017 with Emmett Therapies UK, I went on to complete all the advanced courses thereafter. I am now using The Emmett Technique as a stand alone therapy alongside Shiatsu Massage, as well as blending the two when needed. I am also a qualified EMM-Tech tutor.
I work with people from many walks of life, in many phases of their life including physical and mental illness/pain, divorce, bereavement through to sports injuries and pregnancy.
I have many years experience working with Shiatsu specialisms such as;
- Mental ill health (Rethink, Second Step, Carr Gomm….)
- Learning difficulties (Freeways)
- Drug addiction (Bristol Day Care Services)
- Alcohol addiction (The Swan Project)
- Homelessness (Places For People, The Big Issue….)
- Dual diagnosis (see above)
- Dementia and Alzheimers ( Redfield Lodge, Meadowcare)
I am a member of the government recommended UK voluntary regulator for complementary health practitioners – The CNHC.